Making Wireguard VPN work with EE 4G in the UK
For the past couple of months I have been running a permanent VPN on my iPhone. There are a number of advantages:
- EE can’t log my browsing history
- Ad Blocking using Pi-Hole
- I can access my home LAN as if I were on my WiFi, wherever I am
Occasionally I’ll leave the house and the Wireguard app will activate my VPN but the VPN won’t actually connect, it just sits there. Toggling the VPN on/off usually causes it to connect. Or frustratingly I’ll be out and about and the VPN will refuse to work unless I toggle VPN.
A number of people have reported similar behaviour on the T-Mobile network in the states when transitioning from Wi-Fi to 4G/LTE, presumably they use the same IPv6 to IPv4 NAT technology that appears to contribute to the problem.
There is a fix (workaround?) to this and that is to force EE to use IPv4 only. I believe I only experience this problem because my WireGuard endpoint is IPv4.
- Download and install this profile to your iPhone. You can view the source code of the profile before installing here
- Toggle airplane mode
- Enjoy Wireguard without frequent network connectivity problems!
Thanks to Duncan for creating the profile.